Re: Re: Flying fighters?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:20:21 -0700

- Richelieu

> Lots of good sense, starting with....

Why, thank you.

> > All of these depend on the ability of the devotee,
>
> I was thinking initiate. Since most people are "just" initiates. But
> presumably that means the same thing with a -5?

Vanganth is one of those cults where Devotee makes a *lot* more sense than Initiate, but yes, generally. (Note, *I* would allow a Vanganth initiate use Flight as an active ability (at a penalty) ignoring the "Affinities are only augmentors" rule. Other Narratrors have to make their own call on that interpretation...)

> > You'd match his "Fly Fast" against his opponent's "Run Fast"
> > or whatever.
>
> So if I want an idea of the speed of the average travelling Vanganthi, I
> take their probable Affinity score, subtract 5, and compare that with
> the Fast of, say, a horse? 10W. Any Warrior keyword person gets "run" at
> 17 as a starter, I think?

Actually, no, Warriors get Ride (per page page 35) but not Run. However, depending on your culture you can swap Run for Ride, or add it, or buy it at 13 with a HP.

> Any guesses what the "average" affinity score would be? Reading p274
> tables.. 10W ish?

Average? Depends on your saga. For an initiate, I'd go for a low figure - 18-2w or 3w. For a Devotee, depends on his experience, but 3w+ would probably be fine. Concentration in Theism would also affect the Initiate's score - an unconcentrated initiate would very likely only have a 17 in Flight (at 6 HP a pop, you're not likely to but many increases!).

> > As far as Vanganthi fighting, they are skirmishers. The sword
> > is a last-ditch close-in weapon, not a primary arm. Strafing
> > runs made by diving down and throwing javelins would match my
> > idea of how they fight - think "light cavalry in the sky". ...
>
> > I wouldn't normally think of them as Aerial Dragoons (only
> > using their breath as a battletaxi), because like all mounted
> > troops, it is beneath their dignity to "dismount".
>
> This all makes good sense to me. And it also explains a puzzle in OiD.
> Why, given her experience, is Kallyr's CC so (comparatively) crap? Well,
> spending the first ten years of her combat career as a Vanganthi might
> have something to do with it?

Yep. (Not that I necessarily thought that through, but sounds good after the fact, so I'll accept it :-)).