RE: Punishment in Orlanthi Law

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 03:13:12 -0400

On 20 Sep 2004 at 7:56, Jane Williams wrote:

> >I am also willing (depending on where
> > the story goes) to break with tradition and have her be
> > entirely wrong about the prophecy to begin with.
>
> Here's a cliché. Let's kick it in the teeth. No-one can make you do
> anything!

LOL! Exactly. If I see a perfect moment to have the classic "what you thought you stopped you actually started" thing happen, I'll do it. If not... not. I'm flexible.

> > She is actually thinking about taking a Disfigured stat, to
> > mark the scars she gets in
> > escaping. Or possibly some kind of branding as a traitor.
>
> Or a personality flaw: presumably she feels guilty about it all?
> Specifically - a tendency to protect children to make up for the one she
> had to "kill"? A tendency not to meddle with (or even read!) prophecies?

I've been thinking of what to give her on these lines. She still has her book of prophecies. We've debated giving her "wracked with self-doubt". I like your "overprotective of children" idea, too, though, I'll suggest it to her.

Out of curiousity, am I right in thinking that the Orlanthi aren't really a written prophecy people?

I do need to consider writing up the prophecy proper as well. I also need to decide what happened to the clan/tribe since. (They were definitely a rebellious clan, so all kinds of bad things could happen to them.)