RE: Punishment in Orlanthi Law

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:22:42 +0100

>Out of curiousity, am I right in thinking that the Orlanthi aren't
>really a written prophecy
>people?

They aren't generally a "writing" people. IIRC literacy is a jealously guarded monopoly of the Lhankor Mhy cult (although I believe that this is an area where YGMV frequently comes into play).

The Orlanthi are primarily an oral culture - but there would be nothing odd about a Lhankor Mhy sage finding a written version of a forgotten prophecy or a different version of a known prophecy. The latter case might be of particular interest - a Lhankor Mhy sage might well be inclined to think that the older version is correct and the current version is corrupt, but most Orlanthi would put their traditions over something written on a mouldy piece of parchment (even if they could read it).

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.