Re: Kinslaying (another question)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:15:39 +0100 (BST)

> The main hero in our group has just discovered that
> she's the illegitimate
> daughter of Duke Harvar Ironfist ..

> My question is: does Harvar and Priya's blood link
> mean that they would be
> guilty of kinslaying, should either of them succeed?

As I understand it, parentage and kinship is not determined by genetic ("blood") links but by who brought you up. Take a look at Minaryth Blue's "events of my life" in KoS (if you can get it) for an example - by the time he reaches adulthood, his original parents are dead, and he joins the bloodline/clan of his mother's sister and the man who seems to have brought him up for the last few years.

Harvar is not kin to Priya, and certainly not to her sister.

However, the blood link *might* be relevant if you were looking at dynasty-type kingship and how *that's* inherited. AFAIK we're not, unless Harvar manages to make himself King of Tarsh or something, but that's the only time I know where "blood" relationships such as this start to matter. See the Sartar royal house for further messy details.

Jane Williams