Literacy and Karse

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:07:25 -0400

Wow, I'm so not getting other work done today. :)

On 20 Sep 2004 at 21:53, bethexton_at_... wrote:

> I seem to recall seeing someting, possibly on this list, I think from
> Greg, suggesting that one of the changes caused by the hero wars is
> the spread of literacy amongst heortlings. That actually Argrath is
> behind it, because to coordinate a large army and empire he needs
> written instructions and reports.

Interesting. A bit beyond the scope of my game at this time. But interesting.

> Of course Karse, located where it is, may well be a focal point of
> conflict between the Esrolian and Heortling doctrines on
> teaching....the city is mostly heortling, but with strong esrolian
> and other influences. Could become nice recurring plot point for a
> campaign set there with an LM character....

Yeah, I'm turning my mind once again to what I want Karse to be. I've gotten to pick around on some of the versions floating on the web, and Phillipe was kind enough to send me some of his thoughts on it. Unfortunately, I don't have Midkemia Press Carse to mine for ideas (and don't feel like shelling out 50 plus bucks for it).

 From dabbling around, I pretty much like the idea of Herotling ruling class with Pelaskite (Esrolian-influenced, not quite the same as the ones on the islands) underclass/"old-folk"). I'm just not sure what version of Herotlings we've got there. They certainly won't be classic Orlanthi, being more city oriented. They're not Esvular, I would doubt them being Aeolian primarily. I'm not sure what to do with the religious/political construction of the city. My understanding of the Herotlanders in the area is that they have a vaguely Malkionized (western) political structure and manners, but still Orlanthi worship.

 I like that it is a mercantile city, no doubt about that. Some kind of powerful city council of merchants. But if that's the idea, why is there a Baron? (Why not be more a Hanseatic league free city, reporting directly to the Pharoah?) The Baron founded the city, as I understand it, so how do he and the merchants interact when it comes to power?