Re: Literacy and Karse

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:05:48 -0000

Lighthouse has hit on one of the biggest and most significant "Blank Places" in described Glorantha - Heortland. Not much has made it to my attention concerning the post-Andrinic history of Heortland (with the exception of Hardrand the Green), assuming much even exists.

> OK, the transformation of the Hendreiki tribe (Tribe or tribal
confederation?) into the
> Kingdom of Heortland predates the Pharoah, right? (He does the
whole Zombie Andrin
> thing, IIRC)

Yes. However, the Hendreiki Heortlendings (as distinguished from the Esvulari Heortlendings) are still Heortlings. In fact, they - and not the Sartarites - are the population core of Heortling Orlanthi in the Third Age.

> Unless there's a typo in there, you just said that all the tribes
in Heortland fall within the
> range of traditional Heortlings, which doesn't seem right.

Not exactly - I said three of the tribes of Heortland fall into the range of traditional heortlings. The Esvulari are definitely outside that range.

> However, it did create something of
> > a "overclass" dependent on royal patronage and not upon the
local
> > communities that did not traditionally exist in Heortling
cultures.
> Ok, but how far down the 4 regions of Heortland does this extend?

I think this "overclass" (can someone come up with a better, non-  description of this - sheriffdom?) is nonexistent amongst the Volsaxi (who don't appear to recognize the authority of the Heortlending High King), and quite strong in the earldoms of Karhend and Gardufar.

> > The Esvulari are different, of course.
>
> When and how did they become different? Do they not consider
themselvs part of
> Heortland?

I believe that the Esvulari recognize the authority of the Heortlending kings and consider themselves part of Heortland. Check out the Trade Talk issue on the Esvulari.

>The king dies,
> there's a civil war, Rikard decides he's not just a mercenary, but
a reformer, and turns
> the kingdom into New Malkonwal. The north refuses, but then gets
pasted by the Lunars
> and pinned in Whitewall. Rikard fights the Lunars and loses when
he is betrayed. The
> Lunars stick Bandal Tigerbane in. But does he just rule Esvular?
Does he rule all of
> Herotland or has that as a "kingdom" broken apart?

Rikard appears to have ruled all of Heortland except the Volsaxi, who I think consider themselves the true heirs of the Hendreiki. Not quite so sure about Bandal.

> I'd go with
> the sacred marriage theory that seems to be so prevelant in
Glorantha. The first Baron
> marries the matriarch of the Pelaskites still there, perhaps the
high priestess. Thus the
> lines are tied together for the founding of new Karse. So while
the Herotling aspect
> gradually becomes more and more dominant, there is this sense of
the older tradition
> lingering under the surface. If the population around Karse in the
valley is primarily
> Pelaskite (with Herotlings controlling a bit further up the river
valley) then it can be a bit
> of old simmering resentment, just because it's fun to have it
there.

Some years ago, Joerg and I tried pretty hard to make the Midkemia Carse work. I don't think it does - the Heortlings have dominated the place for too long. I think the farmers in the Suchara Vale are Heortlings, as are most of the folk in the city, although the fisherfolk  probably have their own customs and rites. Being an important trade emporia, Karse has lots of foreigners, which will give it a non-Heortling feel.

Jeff