Re: Karse, Heortland

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:47:14 -0000

> Whatever the result of Andrin's reforms on the clan wyters was,
these
> people remained theists mostly. They accepted over time feudal
elements
> from Malkioni influences. (Early feudalism and organized barbarian
tribes
> are more or less the same...)

Let's be careful about the use of the term "feudal". Heortland does not have fiefs or feudal contracts. What it has is mounted warriors with chainmail and spears - think Norman knights. However, these are thanes appointed by the sheriff (i.e. clan chieftain) and supported by the clan - and not feudal retainers.

> IMG the royal seat was in Durengard. It lies nicely on the "ley
lines"
> from the City of Wonders, quite central in Heortland, close to the
sacred
> mountain of the region, etc.

I personally like the idea of an itinerant High King who travels with his household and retainers - it goes well with the Larnsti theme. It also means that no one place is forced to constantly fee the king, his household and his retainers, and allows the king much more direct contact with his people. I think that Orlanthi kings are probably far more itinerant than the literature suggests and that "royal seats" are largely ceremonial places and not necessarily the year-round residence of the king and his household.

Jeff