RE: Re: literacy

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:56:23 +0100

> From: bethexton_at_...
> The problem with using English as a comparison point is that English
> may be one of the least stable languages ever spoken. I'm told that
> a modern Pole can read medeival polish without much difficulty,

Well, I read fourteenth century recipes without *too* much difficulty, and seventeenth century and onwards with ease. Going back much further than that gets a bit tricky, it has to be said. (No, I never got taught any of the relevant languages, before you ask - Norman French, Old English, etc. I just read the stuff.)

> On top of that, there is the effect that all the men hear storm
> speech when on the other side.

And the women hear Earthspeech, presumably. But since AFAIK the mundane languages are not based on either of these to any great extent, does it matter?