Re: [HeroQuest-rules] Initiates and Orlanthi

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:58:48 -0400

Hi Peter, I'm moving this over to HQ-rpg, where it should have been in the first place.

The thing is, you don't really have a choice for number 1, do you? I may be misremembering something, but it seems to me that you don't get to choose not to Initiate. If you don't, you're not Orlanthi. There are no communal worshippers.

That sort of blows my mind. Probably because I see Initiation as a pretty big deal. It certainly seems you can't "drop" Initiation without being hammered by spirits of retribution and such.

I realize this doesn't really describe Orlanthi life well, since they can slide from subcult to subcult and the like (although how that jibes with their being chosen of the god and touched by them, etc etc, is unclear to me).

Anyway, it's not a complaint or anything. That's what they're like. They believe in more personal sacrifice. That's fine. I'm just sort of blown away by a culture of now communal worshippers. There's nobody who just shows up for the high holy days, participates in the general services, and then gets on with their lives. Even if not fanatical, that puts an intensity of religion in everyday Orlanthi life even higher than I had thought it was.

LC