Re: Birds of War?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:20:02 +1300

At 02:49 PM 10/13/04 +0000, you wrote:

>On a mostly unrelated note, any thoughts on what the Rinliddians
>think of the Durulz?

On a convoluted note, there is a mesopotamian myth called Anzu, in which the bird-like Anzu seizes the tablet of destinies and rules the world before the Gods under Ninurta break his wings and restore rightful authority to the world. Remember that Ducks cannot now fly.

It just so happens that the Dara Happans remember a mythical period in which they were governed by birds/Rinliddi. So I believe the Dara Happans believe Ducks to be the evil children of the Duck God that seized the staff of justice and ruled Dara Happa. Shargash fighting for the Gods broke his wings and sent him hurling down hurling southward. I like to think the impact carved a huge groove and knocked out the Duck God's front teeth.

I had toyed with getting the mesopotamian text and rewriting it with the Duck God lisping, having Donald Duck temper tantrums, waggling his behind and all sorts of evil duck mannerisms. But it's a tricky job.

So the Rinliddi would be somewhat embaressed by the Ducks while the Dara Happans would hate them IMO.

--Peter Metcalfe

---