RE: Re: Sartar Rising w/ book 2, Lunars?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:28:42 +0100

> > 1. The first book in the series, _Barbarian Adventures_, is out of
> > print. Is it reasonable to jump into the campaign with low-level
> > adventurers and book 2, _Orlanth is Dead!_? If so, what other books
> > would I have to get, if any, to have adequate background on Sartar?

> Most of Barbarian Adventures scenarios are focused on clan life -
> cattle raids, feuds, chaos threats rather than the rebellion. So
> provided you give your heroes a chance to experience 'every day'
> adventures before tackling the big saga you'll be fine.

> You will lack the setting info - mainly a description of the tribes
> of Sartar. You can divine most of this from Dragon Pass, though it
> is not so nicely 'to-hand'.

BA also gives the basics about how clan life works, though. How to run a cattle raid, what resources are available, and so on. It can be found second-hand if you look very hard, and I'd suggest you do. Yes, you *can* run without it - we did for years before it came out, after all! But it's good.

Any chance of Issaries doing a re-print run, I wonder? There's a lot of people just starting up and after a copy.

> > Or, at the risk of sounding completely twisted, would it be
> possible
> >to extrapolate adventures for Lunar heroes from the _Sartar Rising_
> >material?
>
> Possible yes. You could switch to playing Lunar soldiers. Requiring
> effort on your part, yes that too.

However (as someone who's trying just this at present, as a player) the basic information about how to generate a Lunar soldier character, and how the Lunar army of occupation *works*, what a typical soldier does with their time, and so on, is missing or scattered.

I'd suggest talking to Martin Laurie for the former, and probably Nick Brooke for the latter. And they will no doubt disagree :)