Re: Banned Orlanth worship

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:21:35 -0000

> > So if Orlanth worship is banned in occupied Sartar, how does
that
> work?

This is a question that hits the digest every so often - maybe one of the Lokarnos wizards can locate the last big thread.

In a nutshell, it works like this: Orlanth is worshipped in the open and every hill or high place is a potential Orlanth holy site. Really important holy sites (like the Hill of Orlanth Victorious aka the Hill of Yelmalio Victorious, or Grizzly Peak, etc) are watched, guarded, whatever. But for most men, worship of Orlanth continues and boys are still initiated in the wilds.

Big gatherings or major rituals are more problematic and, to the extent they occur at all, must take place in the wilds or in secret. As Bryan describes, there is flow of magical talent into the more removed or inaccessible clans and to "outlaw" bands and openly rebellious tribes (like the Volsaxi).

> > Since I'm doing my Karse thing, I realize that I would need to
> figure out what they do
> > with the Orlanth worshipers in the city having just freshly
> conquered it.

The ambitious and cynical abandon Orlanth for the 7 mothers or other Lunar gods, the timorous abandon him for other gods of the Storm Pantheon, and the devout worship in secret or more likely leave or are kiled.

Jeff