Re: Re: Needles for tattooing.

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:31:52 GMT

In message <clm530+35uu_at_...> "Oliver D. Bernuetz" writes:

>Metal needles as trade items would be pretty common I imagine.
>They'd be relatively inexpensive and would last quite a long time.
>Even in metal poor regions you might find metal trade needles to be
>much more common than knives or the like. You can make one heck of a
>lot of needles out of someone's cast-off greave or the like.

AIUI metal needles were not inexpensive prior to the industrial revolution. They don't contain a lot of metal but do reflect a lot of work by a skilled craftsman. Indeed while your average clan redsmith will be able to make an adequate knife or spearhead he probably can't make a useful needle. The average hunter could make a needle out of bone simply because bone is much easier to smooth.

>The first step to cultural domination get people hooked on
>the "modern" conveniences. Has the advantage that it's hard to turn
>them against you.

True, but I think metal needles are a luxury item mostly made in the cities for the rich. In most clans a metal needle will be a treasure of Ernalda not something used by all and sundry.

Then again for tattooing tradition will play an important role so I would expect a wide variety of instruments because that's what has always been used.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/