Re: Needles for tattooing.

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:14:35 -0000

> AIUI metal needles were not inexpensive prior to the industrial
> revolution. They don't contain a lot of metal but do reflect a
> lot of work by a skilled craftsman. Indeed while your average
> clan redsmith will be able to make an adequate knife or spearhead
> he probably can't make a useful needle. The average hunter could
> make a needle out of bone simply because bone is much easier to
> smooth.

Some interesting websites on needle making.

http://www.sealedknot.org/knowbase/docs/0010_PinsNeedles.htm

http://www.kingtutshop.com/freeinfo/Ancient-Egyptian-Clothes.htm

http://www.stringpage.com/viking/needles.html

> True, but I think metal needles are a luxury item mostly made in
> the cities for the rich. In most clans a metal needle will be a
> treasure of Ernalda not something used by all and sundry.

I don't know, it could go either way. Link number three is about the Vikings so it could apply to the Heortlings. A needle's a pretty important tool so they may get warrant some time and effort from a redsmith. Never having smithed anything in my life I can't attest to how difficult it is/was. Like anything you'd get better with practise.

> Then again for tattooing tradition will play an important role so
> I would expect a wide variety of instruments because that's what
> has always been used.

Undoubteably true.

Oliver