Fleshing ][

From: yuskim1 <yuskim1_at_...>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:39:47 -0000

Okay, previously in the "Fleshing out some Glorantha-specific details" thread I had asked for suggestions for filling in the gaps in the following description...

> A [geographic feature] which marks the position where the
> territories of three [groups of people] meet is also the source of
> [some unsusal magic]. Every [few years] delegations from all three
> surrounding communities must assemble at the location and and
> collectively renew the magic or they will (all) be without it's
> effect until the next chance to renew it comes around.

Thanks to the ideas that people contributed I'm now up to this stage:

"Three small clans from different tribes find themselves in close proximity to each other because they each occupy the corner of their tribe's territory that borders with the territories of the other two.

The point where these three clan's (and hence their respective tribe's) territories meet is a beautiful, idyllic little valley. This valley is unoccupied and due to various local customs and beliefs it is left relatively undisturbed except for once every six years when members of the three clans assemble to perform a ritual and renew a pact.

>From an outsiders viewpoint the clans involved are all more prosperous
than their size and level of influence would otherwise indicate. They are also unsusally tradition bound and pacifistic (except when it comes to self defense)."

But the Devil, they say, is in the details. I am now wrestling with the following points...

  1. The entity in the valley is an otherworld being with strong connections to the Harmony and Stasis runes.

<Maybe it's my RQ roots showing but I still tend to think of Gloranthan Powers in terms of the classic runes. Some runes tended to occur quite a lot (like 'death') while others were less common (e.g. 'disorder') . I find myself tending to favour the lesser known ones.>

B) The benefit that ritual perpetuates is still a problem. I now need it to be something that has a significant (i.e. not insignificant) effect on the clan's prosperity. Bearing in mind the harmony/stasis theme I'm favouring the idea that the clan's tools and/or equipment gain a modifier increase of 50% and last 50% longer before needing repair/replacement.

<This increase in effectiveness could be extended to all the communities 'systems', be they physical or social but see point 'E' below.>

C) The ritual itself requires the harmonious co-operation of the three clans involved and may involve a hero quest but I'm still quite vague on this point as I can't think what it might entail. The whole gathering needs to be the epitome of harmony and changelessness (tradition?). Certainly actions of the participating clans over the previous six years can have an adverse effect if they involved too much disorder or change.

<Because of my warped sense of humour I would like to have this power deriving from the essence planes (the benefit described in 'B' reminds me of a wizardry blessing) without the participants recognising it but don't know enough of the details to be able to say whether or not people with a soul can hero quest on an essence plane. (Does the -20 thing imply that they 'can' but it would be hard to do much effectively?) Otherwise either a daimone or spirit would do, I suppose.>

D) The valley itself is under this harmony/stasis influence. Long-term habitation is difficult within its boundries as sentient beings are generally to disorderly and changable to live up to the location's high standards and are eventually driven out or succumb to a zombielike  state and die of thirst.

<Actually Dwarfs should probably thrive here and on further consideration I'd have to allow Aldryami and even Beastmen given that flora and fauna (i.e. nature) does well enough here.>

E) Recently it has occured to me that this whole set-up might have an insidious effect on the communities over the long term. If the people become too dependant on the benefits they will become progressively less and less inclined to do anything that might incur the being's wrath (i.e. anything involving disorder or change). So no waging war (since that goes against both harmony and stasis, though self-defense is alright and it may be possible to petition the being to lend an additional defense bonus). Similarly disrupting the clan's social order would be a no-no. This could lead to unsusally high levels of conformity, paranoia, and swift, harsh punishment of crimes against the 'wellbeing' of the clan.

<The similarities to the stagnant age and dwarf way of life are interesting but this is turning into more than just the introductory scenario to narrative HQ that I had intended. Note that none of this is necessarily what the characters will end up 'doing'. It was just supposed to be going on in the background and was intended to provide me with lots of different ways to introduce a wide range of character concepts into the same starting scene.>

Comments and suggestions are, of course, welcome. I am especially interested if any of my assumptions go against Gloranthan canon (or are at least stretching its limits).

I am also open to any/all suggestions that can give point 'C' (above) some structure since even if the characters are not particularly involved in the ritual/hero quest itself, the clan's stories about it will be well known.

Thanks,