Re: "normal tribal life in Sartar"

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:37:16 GMT

In message <20041129125947.83832.qmail_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>Late 1590s in my case. And yes, much of BA is indeed
>useable back then. When the Lunars arrive, they will,
>I hope, be very obviously abnormal and a Bad Thing.
>And therefore, something to object to.
>
>(At present, it's "Lunars in Tarsh? Where? So what? -
>they're not taking *our* cows". It's great - they're
>barely interested in who's king of their tribe, might
>have registered that they're in a country called
>Sartar or might not, but are enjoying the squabbles
>between clans. Those Poss are *weird*. Foreign.)

Just how is that going to change when the Lunars invade?

Maybe they get to fight in a big battle against some funny soldiers. Then they go back home and get back to the important stuff like raiding their neighbours herds. Sure they've heard those neighbours have adopted some strange foreign gods, but they were a funny lot anyway. The clan ring may get round to discussing what to do about the new taxes the tribe is expected to collect but will probably reject them as "not traditional".

I think it's going to take many years before the gradual influx of missionaries, tax collectors and soldiers impinges noticeably on most ordinary clanspeople.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/