RE: "normal tribal life in Sartar"

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:32:35 -0000

> >At present, it's "Lunars in Tarsh? Where? So what? -
> >they're not taking *our* cows". It's great - they're
> >barely interested in who's king of their tribe, might
> >have registered that they're in a country called
> >Sartar or might not, but are enjoying the squabbles
> >between clans. Those Poss are *weird*. Foreign.
>
> Just how is that going to change when the Lunars invade?

Well, having quite a lot of their friends killed might get their attention. I'm hoping to have them a bit more widely travelled by then, but they've already been to Runegate, and seeing it after the Bat lands on it should make an impression.

> Maybe they get to fight in a big battle against some funny
> soldiers.

I expect so, yes. With a bit of "corlookatthat" involving Bats and Dragons.

> Then they go back home and get back to the
> important stuff like raiding their neighbours herds. Sure
> they've heard those neighbours have adopted some strange
> foreign gods, but they were a funny lot anyway.

Weird! You don't want to know what they do with sheep, and their ideas about oak trees are all wrong.

> The clan ring
> may get round to discussing what to do about the new taxes
> the tribe is expected to collect but will probably reject
> them as "not traditional".

Yep! And then the Lunars turn up and insist, in non-traditional ways.

> I think it's going to take many years before the gradual
> influx of missionaries, tax collectors and soldiers impinges
> noticeably on most ordinary clanspeople.

It might be fun to have the unusually well-travelled PCs (might have been to Boldhome by then) trying to get the rest of the clan to take notice.