RE: "normal tribal life in Sartar"

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:16:51 GMT

In message <000f01c4d652$93a9fd30$0302a8c0_at_master> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> The clan ring
>> may get round to discussing what to do about the new taxes
>> the tribe is expected to collect but will probably reject
>> them as "not traditional".
>
>Yep! And then the Lunars turn up and insist, in non-traditional ways.

How quickly do you think that's going to happen for the average clan?

First of all the tribal chief will insist the clan ring comes to see him to discuss the matter pointing out that if each clan doesn't contribute the burden will fall unfairly on those who do. Then the Lunar tax collector is brought in to point out that if the taxes aren't paid he will have to make an example of a clan and do they really want it to be theirs?

I reckon a lot of clan rings will find "another way" to sell the extra taxes to the clansfolk especially when the story gets out of an entire clan being sold into slavery because they refused to pay.

All that's going to happen before the Lunars send tax collectors round to individual clans. I think it's going to be 1610-1613 when tax collectors stop operating at tribal level as they try and raise more revenue and cut down on evasion. Even in 1620 they'll still be dealing with clan chiefs rather than individuals.

>> I think it's going to take many years before the gradual
>> influx of missionaries, tax collectors and soldiers impinges
>> noticeably on most ordinary clanspeople.
>
>It might be fun to have the unusually well-travelled PCs (might have
>been to Boldhome by then) trying to get the rest of the clan to take
>notice.

Especially if some on the clan ring would rather avoid trouble, the PCs might just have to get involved in clan politics.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/