Re: Re: "normal tribal life in Sartar"

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 20:47:58 GMT

In message <col883+g1nm_at_...> "jeffrichard68" writes:

>> Then the
>> Lunar tax collector is brought in to point out that if the taxes
>> aren't paid he will have to make an example of a clan and do they
>> really want it to be theirs?
>
>I view the role of the tax collectors as informing the kings and
>chiefs how much they owe and when it is due. If insufficient taxes
>are presented, the tax collectors can seek relief from the Governor-
>General (and can recoup their losses from the sale of slaves).

Basically I agree although I think there will also be an element of persuasion involved - the chief is going to want to pass the blame onto these foreigners rather than playing piggy in the middle. The collectors aren't going to get relief from the Governer-General unless they can show they've done what they can.

>Although most folk won't be interacting with missionaries, tax
>collectors or soldiers - the tax itself has a huge impact on
>ordinary clanspeople. If the Lunar tax comes out to about a cow a
>person per year, how long can ordinary clansfolk keep coming up with
>that surplus without drastically impacting their own wealth?

A cow per person per year sounds rather high. Easy enough for a thane but tough for a carl and pretty near impossible for a cottar. I would think an amount equal to half a cow per adult is going to be closer although since the tax collectors won't be counting people it'll vary based on how they assess the tribe or clan and it'll be up to the chief who pays the tax within the clan. No doubt something else that gets argued about at length.

In the first few years I think there's going to be widespread tax evasion as the tribes deal with ignorant collectors. Over time the dodges are spotted and collectors start visiting clans to check the figures. It's that increase in taxes actually collected that gets the clansfolk upset. Of course after Starbrow's Rebellion the collectors will concentrate on the slave clans both as punishment and on the grounds that they are most likely to be evading taxes. When the Fimblewinter hits all this tax collection goes out the window - there just won't be the cows to pay the taxes. Some clans and tribes will manage to pay with a struggle but most will default.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/