Re: Stead layouts

From: Jennifer Geard <geard_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:42:35 +1300

Stephen wrote:
> Tonight, having been playing weekly for the better part of a year we
> finally had to decide on the layout of the stead buildings.
>
> Not because the stead was under attack, no, but because the (NPC) brother
> of two of the characters was getting married and they had to figure out
> where all the guests were going to be sleeping, and worse, where the
> marriage bed would be.

"So, do we just move things around to give them extra space for their sleeping furs, or do we actually accord them the honour of building them a box bed into the wall? I mean, this is the elder son of the steadholder, and if things go well this marriage will be at the heart of the stead in the next generation."

One thing we did figure out was that in the cramped conditions of our first few years of settlement the young unmarrieds have put boards in the roof rafters of the barn, byre and stable to create mezzanine/attic sleeping spaces.

> Olaf the Humakti Devotee sat on a hill overlooking the festivities, moping.
> ("Sorry Olaf, but inviting death to a wedding, well, it's not a good look")

Hey, we brought food and drink from the feast. There was quite a good little satellite party in Olaf's lodge.

The strangest thing, in the midst of much joy, was the shuddering realisation that my lover (also a Humakti devotee) would never be welcome at this sort of key family festival. I mean, I'd known intellectually that this was the case, but actually having it happen was a stark reminder.

Cheers,
  Jennifer

--
Jennifer Geard