Re: Re: Birthdays?

From: nick_at_...
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:34:30 +0000

bernuetz_at_... wrote:

> --- In HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com, "Jane Williams"
> <janewilliams20_at_y...> wrote:
> > A quick query (I hope) - do Gloranthans, and Sartarites in
> > particular,
> > celebrate birthdays? Or any other personally
> > significant anniversary (naming day, initiation day)?

[Snip]

> My feeling would be that unless it's a king or ruler or someone
> important in a religious sense that they wouldn't bother celebrating
> birthdays. A birthday party just doesn't seem right.
>
> Oliver

I think it depends a lot of what's meant by celebrating birthdays. I don't see cake and candles really fitting Sartarite culture, but I think it's perfectly common to draw all kinds of astrological conclusions from a birth day (born in Death week, Fire season? He'll be called by Elmal...) and therefore people will at least remember that they were born on a particular day and make sacrifices as appropriate.