Example of Heroquest in play

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:44:10 -0000

>From our house Seattle Farmers campaign, here is an example of a
heroquest in play (the write-up is by David Dunham). The particular heroquest is the Stormwalk Path heroquest performed by the Colymar in 1613 and provides a good example of a well-known heroquest [FN1] with strong community support:

Jorator was worried about the lack of labor at the stead, particularly during the heroquest. Wilms hired 20 well-qualified cottars to work through the winter.

Kaylin presented Korlmhy with the magical Surewoven bag that she had woven in the Loom House with Orane's Spindle.

The entire Colymar tribe provided extraordinary support for the long ritual, which began on Clayday and continued throughout Windsday. The clan ring of the Orlmarthing prayed to give Orlanth strength at the Bulltaming. Vonlanth, acting as Heler, armed Wilms as Orlanth according to the Arming of Orlanth ritual. Korlmhy was armed and accoutered as Vingkot. Then, Brenna went through the Saddling of the Sun.

Jorator was prepared as Issaries. Wilms named his Four Storms. Herger was Finovan the Sword. Vonlanth was Helemakt the Shield. Nisk was Hedkoranth the Hurler. Kaylin was Enferalda the Supporter.

Everyone found themselves under the orange skies of the Storm Age, at Orlanth's Hall. The air was windy and cold.

Vingkot came before Orlanth and complained about Urox's destruction. He asked Orlanth for help protecting the Vingkotlings from the ravages of his Brother Storm. Orlanth decided to ask Ernalda what to do, for Urox was a stronger warrior. At the Loom House, Ernalda's kin were reluctant to help, for Urox was a mighty protector of the Earth. However, Kev Ernaldasdottir reminded her kin that Orlanth could be counted on to make sure the Earth was still defended. Ernalda told her daughter Uralda to explain how Orlanth could tame Urox by treating him as a wild animal.

Vingkot found the secret path that Mastakos had once told him of. But Orlanth saw that they were being stalked by a beautiful huntswoman with red skin. He hailed her.

She was a foreigner, wielding weapons of silver - javelins and a curved sword. She said, "I am the Hunter, and you are my prey. Submit or I will be forced to skin you." Orlanth replied, "I am not prey, but the Storm. Nobody hunts the Storm."

She asked, "Are you not the great sky hunter? Did you not hunt the great sky bear?" Orlanth replied, "I am the Allfather, tamer of beasts." Redalda and Vingkot acknowledged him as their father. Wilms nearly lost his identification with Orlanth, but maintained that he was Allfather.

The Red Huntswoman became frustrated that she had been pursuing the wrong quarry, and drew her curved sword. "Even if you are not the prey I was hunting, you are the prey I will kill."

Orlanth belittled her tracking skill and mocked her claims. He sent the Four Fighting storms against her and forced her to flee. [FN2]

They continued to the lone black tree, which had a noose hanging from it. A raven perched in its branches.

>From the Black Tree, they took the secret path through the Darkn
Woods, eventually reaching a rock carved with great horns.

Stormwalk was wreathed in ice and snow. After several times around, the cold and wind got so strong that they could not continue. But Vingkot gathered his companions, took a deep breath, and inhaled the Mountain Gale. The wind ceased. He said, "Valinkanth," breathing the Mountain Gale into the Surewoven Sack.

They continued up the icy flanks. There were Vadrudi everywhere, but they shied away.

A pack of huge three-headed dogs blocked the path. Orlanth entangled them in winds and rope, and the Fighting Storms ripped them to shreds.[FN3]

Atop Stormwalk, a huge, shaggy, beast-like storm roared in laughter. "Have you come to give me gifts of tribute here on my mountain?"

"I have come to make you plow my fields," said Orlanth.

Urox laughed. "I am the untamed wind, the truest of Umath's sons. I am violence and savagery."

Orlanth responded, "But I am your master."

The prayers of all the Orlmarthing reached Orlanth's ears. Kev and Vingkot stood beside him. Orlanth threw a rope over Urox's neck and forced him down before he could react. A winged bull lay stunned.

Orlanth led the yoked and tamed bull down the mountain. They were confronted by the giant Baskelos and his kin. The Four Storms were hard-pressed, but rallied to kill him. Baskelos' kin swore hatred against Orlanth.[FN4]

Orlanth led the sky bull off the mountain.

Back at Horned Rock, the sky was once again blue. The red moon was full - apparently only two days had passed.

[FN1] This is not the Stormwalk Path heroquest as written up in Tales. Gorangi Vak is a hero of particular interest for some of the players in this campaign and we've rewritten the Stormwalk Path myths.

[FN2] This is obviously a foreign heroquester.

[FN3] One of the players became inspired by her hatred of Grey Dogs while fighting the hounds. As a result, she gained a magical enmity with that clan.

[FN4] The players gained a flaw - hated by Storm Bull worshippers - for killing Baskelos (who was presumably a Praxian Storm Khan engaging in Storm Bull version of the same myth).