Re: Scenarios for kids -- interested?

From: Ian Young <Ian_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 06:07:39 -0000

David Dunham <david_at_a...> wrote:

> It sounds like a quasi-medieval place would be best. Seshnela,
> Ralios, Fronela, or even the Malki Coast.

For the Belgian-esque setting, for sure, but for the subject matter itself (Grimm's fairy tales and the like) just about any location in Glorantha could do. For my part, I set an adventure loosely based on Jack and the Beanstalk square in the middle of Sartar for my then-10-year-old nephew. Reprising that adventure for my 4-year-old son, we set the story in the Wokistan region of Teshnos, which has spun off into a campaign all its own.

If I had any advice drawn from my own experiences, it'd be to focus the scenarios on themes and character interactions -- the essential elements of folk tales that cause people to adopt and adapt them to their own homelands. The settings themselves are pretty much tertiary in the eyes of most children as far as the scenarios go, though individual narrators should be ready to improvise details for curious young players.

!i!