Re: Bashing RuneQuest

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:35:40 -0000

Howdy -

> It seems bashing RuneQuest is back. I guess RQ is an easy target
as it has
> no defenders and no official support.
> I find it rude and patronizing for people to say that the
RuneQuest system
> did not actually reflect Gloranthan reality. Back in the 80s and
early 90s
> RuneQuest was officially Gloranthan reality. Without RuneQuest
there would
> be no HeroQuest. The RuneQuest renaissance fuelled by Tales of the
Reaching
> Moon made HW and HQ a possibility. Now, not only has the father of
HW/HQ
> been murdered, but also is disrespected. I am disgusted.

OK, be disgusted. I've been "disrespecting" the RQ system as a model for Glorantha in a rude and patronizing manner since the mid- 90s - long before HW/HQ. In fact, I (and others) switched to a modified version of Pendragon, called Pendragon Pass (which David Dunham and I wrote up in Enclosure No. 1 back in 1997). Although I agree that the old RQ rules models Glorantha better than say AD&D would, I think that it had many many problems and as a rules system modeled it worse than say Pendragon Pass or HW/HQ.

Jeff

Jeff