Re: Bashing RQ

From: David Ford <diadochi_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:07:26 +0000

Hi all,

Thank you Rob for sticking up for RQ.

To a large degree whether RQ modelled Glorantha perfectly is irrelevant because people played the game and it was very popular. At its height RQ was definitely the Glorantha roleplaying game and seemed at least to me the main rival to D&D. When I played RQ I didn't think 'God! This game poorly models Glorantha', but felt the game and setting were fantastic.

For me the demise of RuneQuest is a painful experience. RuneQuest is dead apart from fan sites and Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying System, and anyhow is divorced from Glorantha now. I fell in love with the seemingly simple version of
Glorantha as it was presented in the RuneQuest days, and have found contemporary Glorantha less and less to my liking as more of it has been published. I've bought almost all the HeroWars/HeroQuest books myself initially with the idea of playing it, but now out of general interest. I continue to buy Glorantha products and really like some of them and bits of some of them. Anaxial's Roster is one of my favourites.

Regarding gaming styles some people like simulationist roleplaying and some like narrative roleplaying. Perhaps Glorantha should have a simulationist roleplaying game again to compliment it's narrative game which is HeroQuest.

Obviously you guys like contemporary Glorantha, but some people (such as me) are more fans of classic Glorantha. I really liked the Glorantha myths when there was less of them, and when they were merely background. Ironically heroquesting is something that doesn't interest me anymore now I know more about it when once is was the holy grail. In conclusion I am angry about people not showing respect to the old game, even if you don't play it anymore.

I appreciate that this is the HeroQuest mailing list and many (most?) people favour HQ over RQ. I'll go back to lurking now and leave you guys in peace.

David