Contacting the dead (was: Re: Bashing Runequest - why bother)

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:34:12 -0800 (PST)

> From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>
> Subject: RE: Re: Bashing Runequest - why bother
>
> > Jane
> > Warning! If someone dies, they do *not* hang around as a
> > spirit, and you do *not* get a shaman to talk to them.
> >
> > !!When did this happen? Since Storm Tribe and Thunder Rebels?
>
> Since the Three Worlds Model meant that only animists became
> spirits. Theists have souls, I think sorcerors have essences
> or something, and you need the right sort of magic to talk to
> them afterwards. Or so we're discovering in our Upland Marsh
> game, to many mutterings of "why does life have to be so
> complicated?"

I thought that most people were still mixed mode worshippers, blissfully unconcentrated if not even "misapplied", which would imply that, unless you are trying to contact one of the fanatics who did concentrate, any of the models should work? In fact, I would assume that contacting the recent dead would have to be in common magic, as well.

Of course, doing more with them than we can do with a seance (assuming that you don't live in Sunnydale, CA or Collinsport, Maine) is another story.

Also, anyone dead long enough to have met the Judge of the Dead (whatever you call him) is a matter for the professionals.

Read only the mail you want - Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard. http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail