Re: Re: Heortling Temples (Long!)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:22:08 -0800

> Ley-lines. Ley-lines are good. Site your holy place on a ley-line and
> watch the barrier weaken. Site it where a bunch of them meet, and watch
> it fade away! (Do be careful about what might be asleep underneath,
> won't you?)

I have a hard time with the concept of leylines (and with the practical application that people try to do). Nature does hardly anything in a straight line - both rivers and lightning follow "the path of least resistance" - and neither can be called "straight" by any definiton of "straight". Straight lines are a freak of human engineering and viewpoint, and I, personally, find the theory that power flows in "perfectly straight" lines to be absurd.

Then there are those "perfectly straight" leylines that have to shift this way or that to accomodate things "not quite in line". Sorry, but Leylines are, to me, the worst kind of psuedo-scienti-metaphysical hogwash. Lay a ruler down on *any* map, and see how many things lie beneath it. Heck, the line between the two closest hills lies right through my house and extends down to the nearest city. It *must* be a leyline!

> Also, read Barbara Hambley's Darwath trilogy? People tend to build their
> settlements on places where magic works better. It works better because
> of what's living underneath. Which makes magic easier, so as to attract
> people to it, so that when times get really hard, it can eat them...

My wife was always a fan of Icefalcon. :-).

RR
- Richelieu