Dreaming the Hound

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:56:32 -0000

Dreaming the Hound by Manda Scott is out in February. I'm looking forward to this one. This is the last part in a trilogy of novels focusing on Boudica. It is a historical novel with all the usual problems of interpretation and inaccuracy that term contains, but enjoyable. More importantly perhaps the setting is Britiain before, during, and after the Roman invasion. It makes it a really good source of inspiration for games set in Sartar before, during, and after the Lunar occupation.

Just take a look at the amazon uk blurb for the novel and you will see what I mean:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0593052625/ref%3Dmm%5Fsnpa% 5F/202-7834723-2559869

AD 57: much of Britannia has been under Roman occupation for over ten years, with key areas in the south and east administered as vassal states, where the tribes pay costly tithes to the Emperor in return for the right to continue living on their own lands... But the once proud Eceni are a downtrodden and defeated people who are forbidden on pain of death to worship their old gods, and who now scrape a living from the once fertile land.

I have to say I enjoyed the first more than the second, but I tend to find the second novel suffers in trilogies anyway, so I'm hopeful for the final novel.

I guess others may have differing opinions and I'm sure we will hear them ;)