Re: Some more "narrator advice"?

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:01:04 +0200 (EET)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Jane Williams wrote:

> How can you deal with the situation where you as Narrator have made an
> error in canon Gloranthan fact, or in rules-based How Glorantha Works,
> and a player has noticed and been confused by it?
<snip>

> 4) Say "sorry, I boobed. Can you guys come up with an explanation?" They
> will! They'll come up with several. Choose one, or pick bits. And DON'T
> tell the players which you've picked :)
>
> Over to the list to improve on/add to that lot...

Our local gaming culture is closest to nr. 4. Gaming worlds can be very complex places, and no GM/narrator can be called for to speak like the pope in his office in every sentence (for those of you who believe in the pope).

There have been times of "Whoops, you're right. That shouldn't have gone like that." If we spot it right away, it's easy to fix it. "You're right, the spell _doesn't_ work. What do you do now?"

But when it's happened several game sessions ago we usually exchange e-mails, talk about it, and fix it. Usually one can find a logical reason why and how things happened as they did. It helps that in our games there's always the simulationistic element of chanse.

Luckily these things are rare, and usually fall within the parameters of the possible, even if sometimes pretty unpropable.

        -Adept