Re: Orlanth as sailor's god.

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:04:08 +0100 (CET)

Chris Bell presents a couple of facts about Orlanth and the sea.

Omitting the very serious fact that in beating the Sea Gods (e.g. at Trembling Shore) he made them enemies, and while he did achieve some "atonement" going to Daliath's Well, the majority of sea gods still bears a grudge. At least did so on Orlanth's single documented sea journey during the Westfaring.

> I would propose that Orlanth is a popular sailor's god, especially amongst
> Genertelans who sail and who are theists, such as Esrolians and the like.

And a warrior cult in the Lunar Army?

> I can imagine that of the many gods that Dormal appeased during his
> HeroQuests and rites of opening, Orlanth and Brastalos were two whom
> he wanted at his back, instead of swamping his ship. I can imagine that
> sailors who don't care overmuch for the alien Magasta would pay an
> Orlanthi godar well to travel with them onboard ship. A magician who can
> command the winds must be an incredible boon to any ship captain.

Consider that controlling the winds in Brastalos' domain might cause currents and waves to visit your ship.

> Further, for some reason a crew of Orlanthi pirates who worship Orlanth or
> his sons in grim aspect, raiding the coasts, or perhaps Valind or Ygg of
> 3-Step.

> And Issaries traders who are sea-going would no doubt drag along anyone
> with wind powers that they could get.

> So, what's the deal with Orlanthi sailors?

The seas have a severe lack of hills... ;-)

Orlanthi sailors probably follow Pelaskos as a subcult of Orlanth Allfather, or Orstan as ship carpenter. Most warrior aspects of Orlanth would be detrimental rather than helpful in provoking challenges. Magicians like Helamakt have myths of fighting the seas, too.

The sea does have local winds and storms. They are subjects of Brastalos in her guise as consort of the Homeward Ocean. They are allies of the seabirds. Neither are that friendly with the landbound winds or aspects of Orlanth...

Sharpsword and his cradle companions stand out as Orlanthi sailors remaining Orlanthi, but then they traveled in Harrek's company. Try to aggravate traveling with Harrek.

That said, the Kingdom of Heortland used to have a coastal guard fleet of undecked galleys or longboats - probably sporting sails, too - which carried the equivalent of coastal militia. Their job was to intercept minor pirate activity. That means missile or magic ranged combat and boarding actions, so they would have needed some warrior skills. Thunderous default, Starkval or Destor might be handy, Helamakt and Vanganth might give an edge. After all Choralinthor is one of the least hostile sea gods you can imagine (even though his father was slain by Orlanth's father). But in this case we're talking marines and rowers rather than sailors.

Probably Kolat or Ohorlanth would be the choice Heortling wind magician cult/practice for sailors.

What about the Storm Tribe's adoptees from the Sea Tribe? Magasta could well be neutral to the seas, but is a rare speciality cult and no great warrior.
Heler (and by default Helamakt) has been alienated from the seas, and lost most of his native powers over the seas. (In case of Helamakt he aquired others in fighting the sea alongside with Orlanth.) Rainbow Girl and Huraya don't really offer anything of substance. Iphara is mostly hostile.

Vice versa there is Brastalos (useful for mystic stuff and maybe for getting to the Baths of Nelat, but otherwise loyal to Magasta), Ygg (not Heortling but sufficiently Orlanthi), the Merfolk ancestor storms (look at the King of Sartar report on the Westfaring how they can help), and the waterspouts (hostile).

Men of the Seas has Diros, Pelaskos and Dormal as the obvious choices for Theyalan-descended sailors. I'd add Orstan as boatwright. Too bad the Heortlings leave all the needlework to Ernalda, someone with a background in canvas-working could have been useful, but from Heortling society most likely would be female.