Re: Questing questions

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:00:42 -0000

> 1) With respect to the discovery of death...
>
> -> 1a) Is there an Eurmal hero quest which allows the quester to
> discover something completely new (or at least something known to a
> very small number of individuals)?

All respect to Peter's answer, but there are plenty of examples of heroquests being used to bring something back that's only vaguely similar to the original example.

So I would think it possible to use the "Eurmal discovers a secret power" quest rather than the "Eurmal discovers death" quest. "All" the questers need to do is change the emphasis slightly.

> -> 1b) Is there a Humakt hero quest which allows the quester to
> acquire something completely new (or at least something that has
> never been utilised before)?

See below.

> 2) It seems to me that Eurmal's prime power is one of sabotaging,
> jinxing, or otherwise disrupting events merely by being present. Can
> this ability (flaw?) be used to confound enemy ceremonies, rituals,
> and/or hero quests by sneaking Eurmal cultists into such events?

I would think so!
In my game, one of the primary methods of getting a bonus is to take your trickster and get him totally drunk, then tie him up and gag him so that all the bad luck and mischief is localized and contained. In other words, the reverse of what you propose.

But a trickster would be happy during all sorts of attempts to screw up the ritual preparations leading to a quest. Tallow swapped for beeswax in votive candles, bacon fat for butter in the ablutions for a Chalana Arroy blessing, pissing in the sacrificial beer and of course deflowering all the sacred virgins!

> 3) Can you bring back 'knowledge' from hero quests onto the God World?
> I'm not so much talking about returning with new powers, abilities, or
> attributes but by observing and remembering can you return and relate
> what you have learned to others? Can you talk to members of 'extinct'
> races (assuming you know how) and still retain the information that
> you learned when you return to the mundane world?

Mechanically speaking, what's the difference between two quest results: "Breath Fire 2W" and "Lore of the Extinct Flamingo People 2W"?

In other words, sure, you can come back with knoweldge. At the very least, going to some god time event and observing it would give you a good rationale for asking the Narrator if you can start a new skill based on what you saw. But I could also see a "quest challenge" sort of contest where the Hero pits some skill against the _situation_ in order to learn something. For example a Yinkini betting his Hide skill in a quest to sneak around Orlanth's Hall during the Great Darkness, in order to learn Bad Dog Lore.

Mike Dawson
http://differentcomputers.com/differentgames/