Re: Tool use vs. weapon use (was Axes)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:38:08 -0800

> > Shifting slightly--I would imagine that a tool smith
> > and a weapon smith in glorantha work
> > very different magics in the making of their goods.
> > Tools have blessings to AVOID injuring
> > people, while weapons exactly the opposite.
>
> Nice thought! And very reminiscent of the difference
> between "real" combat and re-enactment combat. Though
> you still wouldn't want your sword cutting the wielder
> too often, I think?

There's a difference (to me at least) between creating a tool that will be used for creation (even though you may be killing the tree, the wood will be made into something useful) and one for destruction (a sword is good for making corpses, that's about it). You certainly wouldn't say prayers to Humakt for a tree-chopping "tool" axe, though you would for a people-chopping "weapon" axe.

Heck, the problems of converting a tool to a weapon may include that sort of magcal "purpose" for the item - a battle axe is easier to handle in a fight because it's beloved of fighting deities, while a wood axe is a pain in the a** because it's purpose *isn't* to kill. (Yes, you *can* kill with it, but it's harder to use, possibly reflected by a small -3 or -5 penalty. We 21st-century types say that it's because "the axe isn't weighted properly", but really it's because the axe is rebelling against it's user...).

Just a random thought...

RR
- Richelieu