Re: Re: Axes

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:56:34 GMT

In message <177dc5fd05020320447ada72ba_at_...> John Machin writes:

>> Yes, the latter is a modern RW concept.
>
>Literally Modern? I seem to recall it in connection to Scouting and
>Baden-Powell.

Which I would class as modern. The last big changes in social ideas followed the industrial revolution. There's very little in modern thought which can't be traced back to 19th, or even 18th, Century ideas.

>Boy Scouts seems more Loskalmi than Orlanthi, all things considered. :)

I'd put them firmly in the late Victorian ideal of solving problems by going back to nature which is completely alien to people who live in an agricultural society. Some of the skills are the same but the social structure is different, one is a hobby the other a way of life.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/