Heler and Helamakt

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:44:41 -0600 (CST)

Friends,

> From: "parental_unit_2" <parental_unit_2_at_...>

asks an interesting question...

> Specifically: Who do Orlanth worshippers think that Helamakt is, and
> what do they believe he did in the myths? And on what points do they
> agree or disagree with Heler worshippers?

> The reason that I have questions: The _Storm Tribe_ entry for the
> Helamakt subcult of Heler differs from the _Thunder Rebels_ entry for
> the Helamakt subcult of Orlanth. Specifically, the myths are
> different. The myths in _Storm Tribe_ are more complete; for example,
> they answer the question "Who is Helamakt?" But _Storm Tribe_
> disagrees with_Thunder Rebels_ on several points, such as what
> Helamakt did at Thrinbarri.

So Dear Friends, allow me to muddy the waters, so to speak� and to start, I ask you to consider:
Imagine the battle of storm against sea. Which way will the rain go?
Up or down?
Or both?

> I don't expect all myths of Helamakt to be consistent with one
> another, but I'd like to sort out the Orlanthi answers to basic
> questions such as "Who is Helamakt?" and "When did he pledge himself
> to Orlanth?" I appreciate any help on those.

> From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>

very wisely suggests

> Sometime in God Time?
> i.e. Pre-sequential chronology? I got the impression that things were
> a little jumbled up back then (or am I overstating this?).

and he is NOT overstating things�

to which
> From: "parental_unit_2" <parental_unit_2_at_...>

clarifies with

> Sorry, I should have been more precise about my questions.

and lists a series of explicit questions. Which I will ignore for the easy answer.

The answers are, �Whatever his temple has told him.�

So, consider first that the initiate will learn the details an secrets of a cult from what his teachers tell him, and then, he will learn to modify those depending upon what his experience in ritual and HeroQuesting teach him.

Myth is a pliable thing. What if I asked (for you Americans) �Which side did Benedict Arnold fight on?� or to you English, �Which king did the Kingmaker back?� Or, for either, �Who were the good guys in the American Revolution and in the War of 1812?� What is the *correct* answer?

Combine this kind of ambiguity with the fact that people do not know everything about their deity, and that it is the purpose of devotees to discover more, and you start to get an idea of the confusion that Gloranthans have.

The published books can never give everything known to various peoples, temples and devotees about the gods. I can guarantee you that the Gloranthan information about this question (and any other) is far more confusing and confused than you have seen.

So, here is what I suggest: determine which set of stories is prevalent in your character�s temple. This is what he was taught and, probably, believes. Remember in the HQ chapter where it says there are always surprises? Those are (possibly) the conflicting views. Then, should he wish to do so, he will go HeroQuesting and discover the truth, because he will experience it.

I know this will not satisfy some people. Sorry. But then, YGWV.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc., publisher of HeroQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha. P.O. Box 272914 Concord, CA 94527
See our site at <www.HeroQuest-rpg.com>.