RE: Heler and Helamakt

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:56:19 -0000

Greg:
> So Dear Friends, allow me to muddy the waters, so to speak.

Oh, good :)

> and to start, I ask you to consider:
> Imagine the battle of storm against sea.
> Which way will the rain go?
> Up or down?
> Or both?

Sideways, in circles and spirals, and down the back of your neck. As well.

> > Sometime in God Time?
> > i.e. Pre-sequential chronology? I got the impression that
> things were
> > a little jumbled up back then (or am I overstating this?).
>
> and he is NOT overstating things.

At least we're out of the Green Age. Before that I get *very* confused, what with the concept of identity not having been invented yet. Sounds like Heler never did quite catch on to that one, anyway, hence some of the confusion.

> Myth is a pliable thing. What if I asked (for you Americans)
> "Which side did Benedict Arnold fight on?" or to you English,
> "Which king did the Kingmaker back?" Or, for either, "Who
> were the good guys in the American Revolution and in the War
> of 1812?" What is the *correct* answer?

To be fair, asking which side Heler was on is more like asking which side Napoleon was on. Did he at one point fight as a British ally, while also commanding the other side, or not? But that's only the question at all if Heler is Helamakt...

> So, here is what I suggest: determine which set of stories is
> prevalent in your character's temple. This is what he was
> taught and, probably, believes. Remember in the HQ chapter
> where it says there are always surprises? Those are
> (possibly) the conflicting views. Then, should he wish to do
> so, he will go HeroQuesting and discover the truth, because
> he will experience it.

And that sort of conflict and discovery is most of the fun of Glorantha :)