RE: Re: sky ship

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:07:34 -0000

> > Unfortunately, I do not know how to manage the end of the search.
> My
> > players are very related to Kallyr, and they will probably stay
> with
> > her until the end, and then, enter with her into the dragon...
>
> Bummer. I guess that what we would do as well. 'Specially
> as my character fancies Kallyr!

I've always felt that this will go for most parties that want to do the Sky Ship in the first place. They'll want to go with her, they'll do anything to defend her, and they're very unlikely to take being treated as mindless cannon fodder, to do and not question, kindly.

> > And they will probably ask what Orlaron said to the dragon.
> > But i don't know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I think we all know the general principle, don't we? There's a thing called the Dragonrise due to happen in 1625, when a Dragon Rises under the almost-built new Reaching Moon temple and eats most of the Lunar army. This has got to be preparation for that. Minaryth explains the general idea on p50, so re-read that.

But details? We won't know that until Dragonrise is out. What they're probably doing here is setting up the plot for the next book. And even if it's finalised, giving it away before publication isn't going to happen.

So what do you tell your players? Unless they speak Draconic themselves, they won't have been able to understand the conversation between Orlaront and the dragon. (There's a line "Only Orlaronth, of all beings alive, knows what this tongue is" - this is trying to restrict the ability of your Heroes to be important and interesting, so treat it with the contempt it deserves). If they do speak the langauge, they may be invited along as a backup in case something happens to Orlaront, with detailed instructions to be given at the time and only if required.

If they did understand any of it, they'll be asked not to repeat it to anyone. ANYONE. This is a SECRET. No matter how close to Kallyr they've got, she is not going to spread details beyond the people who absolutely need to know, and if they ask, she won't be telling. If they do, somehow, know something, you write down "knows secret of Kallyr's deal with the dragon 13" on their character sheet, and then leave it at that. Or rather, bind them with the strongest oaths you can get, and *then* leave it at that.