Re: What the Dragon Said

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:02:00 -0000

in answer to
> > From: Greg Stafford [mailto:Greg_at_g...]

> Trouble is, if they've just overheard a conversation, in a
language they
> know, you don't have a lot of choice.

The sage in our group is a Devotee, who in the Knowledge affinity has the feat interperet spoken language.

> > For the Narrator: The dragon agrees that if it gets its head
> > back it will come alive and do what Kallry asks for one minute
or so.

> Thanks!

I have a feeling that I would like to keep this from my fellow players (I am taking a break from narrating duties) as 4 of them are not Gloranthaphiles and probably don't know about the dragonrose anyway.

> > I don't imagine that the average player characters are really
> > close enough to Kallyr at this stage to be this close, either.
YGWV.

> Let's see, Rob's new PC "fancies" her,

tongue in cheek here. My character Torath joined the band after the exploits at Whitewall. He is still in awe of his companions and eager to prove his mettle. I have a personnal affection for strong redheads (hence my partner Gill, a fiesty redhead of Irish parentage!!)

> in the group he was running
> before, they were at one stage telling her what to do not vice
> versa,

Actually she was skillfully manipulating the whole of Whitewall so that the city did not disintegrate into its many conflicting factions while King Broyan was incapacitated. She did it in an inspired way IMO, using the player characters who had proved themselves thus far.

Kurash refused to tell her something she demanded to know, and he made a die roll what could I say. He had his moment of glory. Kallyr isn't a bad guy IMG and she wouldn't beat it out of him. YKWV of course! :-P

> I know of another PC in another game who knew her when they were
teenagers
> together, and three or so who claim to be related to her, the
original
> questioner here says his group are very close to her... She's
popular.
> With players and narrators as well as Gloranthans. (I leave my PCs
out
> of the equation here - we know I'm biased!)
>
> But, as I say, they can be as close as they like, and she *still*
won't
> be giving away that secret. The only difference closeness will
make is
> whether she apologises for the secrecy.

The only thing that I would say is that by not giving the crucial detail then it robs the narrator of making that judgement call for her game. Maybe she wants her player to talk to the dragon (see the Gwandor)

> > Finally, for them to go along they have to overcome their
> > Fear Dragons, which all player characters (except Kralori)
> > have.
>
> They do??

One thing I insisted on was Hate Lunars and Fear Dragons. One player specifically explained why he didn't want to take Hate Lunars and I was happy with his explanation so let it fly. The exception rather than the rule.

My feeling is players will not be scared of anything given the choice, and miss out on some good roleplaying, like overcoming ones fears. Mike Holmes has written some excellent essays about negative traits leading to fun role playing moments.

> AFAIR the last few Vingans I've generated didn't choose to take it,
> either.

> So where does this "all player characters have it" come from?

AFAIK I think Ian Cooper insists you take it in his Redcow game (which I follow via the write ups), but YGWV and all that...

Regards
Rob