Re: Working Up

From: Michael Hitchens <michaelh_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:09:25 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Greg Stafford wrote:

> Heroquesters,
>
> From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>
>
> made an interesting comment, and I want to bonce from it to solicit some
> discussion. I want to watch it, not answer your questions about it.
>
> So I guess my question is twofold:
> 1. Do you know this?

Yes, and I agree. Having everything important happen directly in the characters presence and allow them force they way into everything leads to a unwanted feeling of shallowness. That's my opinion anyway. Having them chafing a bit at the leash keeps 'em keen.

> 2. Can you convey to them that this is so, without offending them and
> making them want to break the game?

Ohh, more difficult. That depends on the gm's preferences and abilities and the players inclinations. Could only be answered on a case by case basis (I think). And as I'm not actually running a campaign at the moment, I can't say. I'd like the answer to be yes though.

Michael

Dr. Michael Hitchens
Senior Lecturer, Department of Computing Macquarie University
michaelh_at_...