Re: HQ followup for kids?

From: Ian Young <Ian_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 06:16:44 -0000

zomben wrote:

> And much as we all love it, I'd say take the focus off of Glorantha.

Nah. It's all in how you present it. Just don't throw it at the players all in one great, glutinous mass, as if they should have a pre-existing understanding of it all. And, above all, adjust the tone to fit the audience.

My very young son has been playing in Glorantha for the better part of the last year. I don't think he really understands what "Glorantha" is, but he'll proudly tell you that his character is a Wokistani, that it's okay to be very frightened of dragonewts, that storm tigers and cloud leopards are wonderful things, and that the Sofali are really cool people to hang around with.

With the right adjustments in tone and conflict, Glorantha *is* a fairy tale world. And new players, young or old, need only be introduced to one crazy, wonderful little element of it at a time as the focus of any given session, rather than digesting a primer on it before starting play. If YGWV holds true, your Glorantha doesn't need to be so deadly serious or complex.

Really, it's okay, and it's very fun.

Cheers,
!i!