Re: Quick morality question for heortling

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:16:08 -0000

And why would a clan NOT want its men to procreate? More men=more warriors, craftsmen, etc. Replacements for people killed, etc. Besides the urge to procreate is a pretty strong human impulse and it would probably be considered odd if someone in Heortling society decided not to have children. They're extra workers, more spears in the fyrd, someone to yell agreement at moots, comfort in old age, etc.

The cliche of the mother pestering people about when they're going to settle down and start a family has been a strong universal in human society. (Even worse in a large extended family where you've got aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents to pester you). I find it extremely unlikely that Heorlting society would look favourably on someone who didn't start a family UNLESS they had some cult reason for not doing so. And we all know how rare those cult followers are supposed to be in society.

I certainly wouldn't say it's unheard of but I definitely think it'd be uncommon.

Oliver