Re: Re: Quick morality question for heortling

From: Stéphane FRANCOIS <s.francois2_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:17:00 +0100

John Machin a �crit :

>Donald Oddy:
>

>>This is why the population maintenance rate is something like
>>2.3 surviving children per family which means a lot of births
>>in some families if we assume pre-20th century child mortality
>>rates.
>>

>Can we assume this rate? Does the mundane and magical expertise of the
>appropriate cults only prevent the rate from being much worse than it
>was, pre-20th C.?

In the old Glorantha source book, there was a paragraph about this. Death rate was lower for low ages, but higher later, "thanks" to more dangerous problems than IRL (magickal beasts, war magick...). I think this can translate into a population maintenance rate possibly a bit higher (to compensate those later death), but which is possible with less childs, as more will reach adulthood. An the mother's survival chances are certainly higher.