Re: contraception

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:00:56 -0800

Jane

>RQ Vingans had the blessing of infertility granted by Ernalda, and tied
>to the "Camphire" (aka henna) used to dye their hair.

Actually, there was no such thing as a RQ Vingan, since no information about the cult was published back then. (In my PenDragon Pass game, Vingan characters got to roll on the yearly childbirth table.)

I would probably adopt a general-purpose rule, that you'd use Death-related stuff of a Humakti or Vingan as an automatic negative augment on their ability to become/make pregnant.

>I think the "how Vinga became a warrior" myth that made it into HQ was based
>on one of Dave Dunham's, with some tweaks

Into Storm Tribe. My myth was based on an Irish one...

> > severe iatrogenesis of the birthing process.
>
>Severe what????

Iatrogenic diseases are those you get by going to the hospital. They are, after all, places full of sick people.

Stephen

>It's also curious that 'Aid Contraception' is a part of the 'Bless
>Mothers' affinity, since the whole point of contraception is to avoid
>becoming a mother... maybe the magic only works on people who've

In our world, when you provide people with contraceptives, birth rate typically increases. People are able to space kids out so that more survive. (In Gloranthan terms, who would want to have a kid during the Disaster Year or the Big Winter, when they'll almost certainly starve to death, if indeed you as a mother can stay healthy enough to have a healthy baby?)

--

David Dunham