RE: Taboos, prudishness, etc

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:49:58 -0000

 John Machin
> There are fines for what I can only interpret as "cat-bothering"
> mentioned in TR or ST (I forget which one precisely). Would
> this count?

Erm.... I've *got* to look that up, it sounds fascinating...

Could this be TR p84?
"If an alynx be caused to scream within sound of a hearth, so that children are harmed, then two cows.."

That sounds more as if the sound of an alynx screaming is harmful to children (why?) and thus causing it to happen is fined.

What one does to the alynx to cause this is left to the imagination, but kicking it would seem tempting at times.

There's some fascinating stuff on that page. Two lines up, the bit about consorting with Darkness, is interesting. Don't talk to trolls! Two cows, and lesser outlawry.

Or was it p42? (Yes, I'm reading backwards) "If an alynx queen be struck down, or interfered with that she lose her kits, then two cows."

I don't see any reason to read more than the literal into that "interfered with", myself.