Re: Taboos, prudishness, etc

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:55:42 +1100

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:49:58 -0000, Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> Erm.... I've *got* to look that up, it sounds fascinating...
>
> Could this be TR p84?
> "If an alynx be caused to scream within sound of a hearth, so that
> children are harmed, then two cows.."

That's the one.

> That sounds more as if the sound of an alynx screaming is harmful to
> children (why?) and thus causing it to happen is fined.

I had visions of kiddies getting startled and falling off/into/against thing.

> What one does to the alynx to cause this is left to the imagination, but
> kicking it would seem tempting at times.
>
> There's some fascinating stuff on that page. Two lines up, the bit about
> consorting with Darkness, is interesting. Don't talk to trolls! Two
> cows, and lesser outlawry.

Makes you wonder about those shifty Argan Argar (or was it Argar Argan? It's all Ar-Ar-Ar to me anyway...) worshipping folks.

> Or was it p42? (Yes, I'm reading backwards) "If an alynx queen be struck
> down, or interfered with that she lose her kits, then two cows."
>
> I don't see any reason to read more than the literal into that
> "interfered with", myself.

This seems to be property damage to me; like harming someone's working dogs or the like.

--
John Machin