RE: Re: Malia vs Mallia

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:01:00 -0000

> > I expect, for example, in Sartar that most rural clans will
> speak with
> > recognisably (to their neighbours anyway) different accents and
> > "everyone" will be able to tell the accents of the groups of
> > clans/tribes clustered around the cities of Sartar.
>
> I'd assume that for an english speaking narrator Sartar is an
> excellent place to try out various celtic accents :)

Personally I use straight Welsh as Stormtongue/speech (what's it called this week?), Old Norse as Earthspeech, Latin as New Pelorian, and tribal/clan accents from all over Britain. I suppose the influence of southern Heortland (Normans) should come in as French, leaving the Sartarites speaking a language that looks a lot like English.

And I use almost any of the various British accents I feel like at the time, trying to miss out the really incomprehensible ones.

But *none* of them can spell! Even Shakespeare didn't bother with consistent spelling, so why should even the most literate Sartarite?