Dog Latin (was Malia vs Mallia)

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:43:40 +0100 (CET)

Adept Mikko Rintasaari:

> I just noticed. Has the name been changed again, or was it a misprint in
> Hero Quest?

> I seem to recall early (RQ2-era) products spell the goddess of disease
> Mallia, but RQ-3 products (and HW books, I think) spell it Malia.

Unless you're Welsh, the pronunciation is similar enough - remember that few if any Gloranthan languages have set orthography rules.

Malia would be dog-Latin for "the bad (female) one", whereas Mallia would be a female form of apple.

A similar mis-spelt Latin occurred with Saggitus (Latin for archer: Sagittus), and while not Latin the most frequent mis-spelling is Pharoah...

I fear that name orthography has been softened up, unless someone decided that a theist entity deserved more "l"s than a spirit, or vice versa.