Re: Imperial garrisons

From: Jeff Kyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 04:47:21 -0000

> Also, they would have to have more than 20 in such a place. The
minimum
> garrison in any fort I can see is a
> company/syntagma/century/Eleventh/Hundredth etc. Why? Because they
really
> don't garrison the rural areas at all, its all focussed in key
points and
> strategic fortresses - think power projection, not activity
subjugation.

Yes. Unless you look at tripwires/outpost/chokepoints. Even the Romans were fond of this sort of tactic.

But if its a latifundae, the owner would have guards and slave-handlers as well. Possibly quite a few.

> As for Grazer mercs, this is also unlikely. It would be a rare
warband that
> would hire on for more than a campaign or action. Garrison duty is
not their

And they don't like to stay in one place at ALL. Its just not right.

> way. However, there are many other options - the first to consider
is
> _local_ recruits. I think this is often overlooked. There are many
who

There are many who want a better/safer/richer life. And many will chose a winning side if it looks like their own is losing.

> follow the Lunar way in Sartar and there are many who simply join in
for the
> loot. There would be a large (say 500 men or more) pool of manpower
> available to the Imperial Governor in Sartar alone. Temertain
likely has a

More than 500. Much more.

> Royal Sartari army and these will be rather like ARVN troops in
Vietnam or
> even Montagnards.

Homeguard.

> >In command there would be the General (Lercius Crassius,
>
> I can only wonder as to what the poor bugger has done to deserve
posting to a
> 30 man fort when he is of general rank. Also, given his Dara Happan
status,
> why does he not have a Dara Happan name? Plunder GRoY or FS for
sources of
> names for Pelorians and Entekosiad is a great source for Pelandans
and
> Carmanians.

A general is a bit high-ranking. Even if this were the center of a dispersed operatoin (what's he doing up in a mannor -- he shoudl be in a more central location). IF he's a retired officer keeping his rank, that might be different.

> >Urvainus (sp?)
>
> A garrison commander of this size would most likely be a high
Kastari
> (sergeant) or a Lukarus (sub-officer). The cult they follow would
depend on
> the regiment but Urvairinus, Elmexdros, Lukarius etc are possible
for Dara
> Happan units, Pelandans might have Daxdarius, Carmanians might be
Aronius
> Jornathir, Bisos, various lion gods. Darjiini (traditional source
of
> Suvarian regiments) would follow Verundum or a hero cult of the
regiment.
> All of them would have many variations and many combinations are
possible.

Yanafal Tarnils.

> > devotee), his Yanafali field commander,
>
> A Yanafali would command a Vexilla or a Yanafali unit, he might also
be
> assigned as Liasion officer from the regiment.

Yanafali are not just officers, many men are also of this cult.

> Or Irrip Ontor, or a Makabean Sorcerer or one of the many other
orders
> kicking about. But a fort of this size would be unlikely to sport
such a
> redundant member unless for census, punishment or research purposes.

Might be a few buserian if they have a lot of paperwork -- or if its a central locatoin. A large 'factory farm' _will_ have a scribe or clerk to keep the paperwork in order. Secretaries were de rigeur in such roman style farms.

> > 2) What are its defenses? Namely, magical defenses? The year is
1614, so
> > Crescent Manor is being build, and mice have been stealing food
(courtesy
> of
> > Velet Bolter) so constructions have not progressed much. The fort
is now
> > just a wooden palisade and the first stage of a stone round
tower. There
> > aren't any other buildings, just tents and pavilions. I assume a
ritual has
> > been performed to sanctify and protect the perimeter of the fort,
but can
> > someone help me with the details? It would be nice to see
something as
> > detailed as the defenses of Arlaten's tower, but I'm not asking
so much!
> ;-)

Indeed. A bit much...

> At best, there might be a small Wyter there, the main defence will
be the
> troops and the magics of the troops. If there is a sorcerer there,
then
> there might be a little more long term stuff, but HW is ill suited
for the
> layered minefield RQ defences we've seen in the past IMO.

Thank god. There are possibly some long term feats enabled and any temple will have a wyter as well as the wyter of any unit of troops. But more on wyter later, I fear.

Jeff