Re: Lunar vs. Sartar Law

From: Mark Galeotti <hia15_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 18:31:54 -0000

> I think that although Tarshite law has incorporated Lunar (Dara
Happan) legal
> concepts that are useful to Tarshite lawmakers (i.e. the King and
his
> lieutenants), Tarshite law is not Dara Happan. Indeed, I think
that a Dara
> Happan-Lunar would find Tarshite law as unrecognizable as a
Sartarite would.

[snip more good stuff]

Tarshite legal culture is still recogniseably Orlanthi, albeit Alakoring. The importance of the Dark Earth cults, I think, give it more of an emphasis on restitution via blood sacrifice, though. The importance of the family and village (rather than bloodline and clan) is also evident - these are the key 'units' at which 'day-to-day' cases are resolved and penalties assessed.

However, I would say it is a system under pressure and thus in evolution.

  1. Prosperity. As business and money intrude ever deeper into Tarshite society, this changes the basis of law and puts the emphasis on personal property (and thus responsibility).
  2. Politics. With the decay of the clan and the conversion of tribal kings into royally-appointed armsmen, the shrieve (a representatative of the tribal chief} handles justice at the clan level, removing one of the key functions of clan chiefs.
  3. High Politics. As Moirades seeks to centralise Tarsh and introduce more Yelmic forms of law, although there is no question of an introduction of the (vicious) Antirian Precepts, law is increasingly a matter of royal decree rather than oral tradition and a common moral economy.

Lunar justice is a separate, parallel thing, and there may be some congruence, but I certainly agree that Tarshite law will be recognisable but strangely different to Sartarites.

Mark

Mark Galeotti