Re: Digest Number 2023

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:22:09 -0000

> Or alternatively, you can perform the Ernalda the Queen 'Make Ring'
> ceremony. (ST page 198).

Yes. Ernalda the Queen and Angtyr the Chief have clan magic, although apparently not as much as Dar (actually, Angtyr the Chief's magic seems more limited than Ernalda the Queen's - which is appropriate I think). A clan will want some access to clan leadership magic - which they do through Dar Allfather (that's the Orlanthi all). The very small minority of Heortling clans that don't use Dar Allfather as the source of their clan leadership magic use Ernalda the Queen and (to a lesser extent) Angtyr and, apparently, Argar Argan (maybe four or five clans, max).

Assuming there are about 240 clans in Sartar, more than 200 of them are probably Dar Allfather clans as described in Thunder Rebels. Maybe 20 clans are Ernalda the Queen, maybe 10 are Angtyr the Chief, and maybe 5 are Argan Argar. That leaves 1 or 2 other clans for folk that need something weirder than worship a Darkness god as your source of clan leadership magic. Everyone happy?

> According to the rules, I presume that all those women would have
> initiate into Vinga then into Dar... unless there's actually the
> option to treat Dar as a stand-alone god rather than an aspect of
> Orlanth, and initiate to him directly even if you're female?

I've used Dar as a subcult of Vinga - since in many ways, Vinga is the women's way of contacting Orlanth.

Jeff