Re: Who worships who?

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:16:40 -0000

> > I think most people aren't devotees, and that a tribal king
> > wouldn't be able to maintain the time commitments for a devotee.

This is absolutely correct. Most people don't even concentrate their magic, let alone become devotees. The Orlanthi are unusual in that most (all?) Orlanthi are initiates, however even amongst the Orlanthi, most don't concentrate and only a small minority become devotees.

> When you see "devotee", thinking "impractical religious nutter who
you
> wouldn't trust to run a whelk stall" will give the right sort of
feel,
> in general. Yes, there are exceptions. As always.

Or think - "player characters". For instance, amongst the Orlmarthing clan (population 650+ adults), maybe 550+ are initiates. Maybe 100 are concentrated theists and maybe 25 are devotees. And of that 25, 5 are player characters!

Jeff